Realview graphics card

Hello
I had to change my PC, I was provided with a " gamer " machine (a real Christmas tree) on which I reinstalled my SolidWorks (2019 SP5). As the graphics card is not referenced by SW (an NVidia GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPu/PCIe/SSE2 with 4 GB) Realview is not offered to me in the render menu. After modifying the keys with Regedit (internet tutorial) I now have this option which is proposed and active but it has no effect on the rendering. With or without it's the same, I have the basic display. Do any of you have an explanation knowing that my previous PC, older and less equipped with memory, worked very well.
Thank you and have a good day

For Sw you must have a graphics card under the open GPL.

https://help.solidworks.com/2023/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_graphics_adapters_drivers.htm
If not compatible, it will be complicated to make SW work properly.
You may need to buy a compatible graphics card.
Otherwise, there is a risk of malfunction. Especially by forcing registry keys. :wink:

Otherwise you may spend a lot of time on this subject:
https://forum.mycad.visiativ.com/t/coup-de-gueule/109817

2 Likes

Yes @mandragore already that with a certified card certain to their share of worries, I don't dare to imagine without it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hello and thank you sbadenis,
That's what I feared. I had asked for a DELL configuration for CAD with an NVIDIA Quattro at 12 GB. And then I opened the box and discovered this thing to play Star Wars...

Thank you also Madragore for this confirmation. I prepare the return envelope

:rofl: And under open SP98, it drives?

3 Likes

Hello and welcome

An RTX 4080 has 12GB of GDDR6, not 4GB.

Otherwise you sell SW and you buy the latest starwar: outlaws in order to honor your PC. :rofl:

Personally I prefer to drive on E85 :rofl:

3 Likes

And yes, to run SW under a gaming PC, it smells strongly of gas!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

It's true that SW is a real gas factory!

More seriously

I know of configs that crash less with GeForce GTX or RTX than with supposedly compatible and certified cards and drivers. In my opinion, it's just a matter of big money. Pure deliberate software throttling, because they are largely as capable as the Quadro :wink: Well I say that I say everything.

I have a DELL XPS 17 from 2010 with an nvidia GTM550 card (I seem to remember) and well SW 2021 runs flawlessly (not tried with 2023)

1 Like

If you sell SW, it's directly a good part of the Disney company that you can buy back :relieved:

1 Like

Yes @Sylk, sometimes a Geforce works perfectly indeed, but possibly it's a coincidence because uncertified all this can be all good or all bad.
Moreover if too recent = > not certified because not the right driver in the software, so recent gaming PC = risk.
Attached is an explanation between Geforce card and Quadro:
How to choose between GFORCE or QUADRO (Nvidia) - Aplicit.
with two sentences to summarize:

NVIDIA partners with independent software vendors (ISVs) such as Autodesk, ANSYS, Dassault Systèmes, PTC, Siemens, and many others to certify Quadro cards for use in their applications.

SOLIDWORKS achieved about twice the results using a Quadro RTX 4000 graphics card compared to a GeForce RTX 2070

So a matter of big money certainly a little, but not only. :wink: :wink: :wink:

@pierre.mihailovic here are the recommended configs according to different uses, essential, advanced elite or ultimate:

Of course, for the same generation, a Quadro has assets that a Geforce doesn't. Nevertheless, if an old Quadro can run an old SW, why shouldn't a newer Geforce with all the better characteristics be able to run the same old SW, and therefore become certified, if not to encourage you to choose Quadro?

Why did a GTX1080 that perfectly managed realview, antialiasing and performance improvement in SW, see these options become grayed out following the only update of the NVidia driver that changed the internal name of the cards, if not to prevent Geforce from benefiting from these options in SW, and to encourage you to choose Quadro?

Most importantly, ISVs can tune their applications for optimal use with Quadro cards. This adjustment can result in a significant improvement in performance.

Bridle, CQFD. Why not just have 2 optimization modes, for Quadro and Geforce, if not to encourage you to choose Quadro?

NVIDIA manufactures Quadro cards itself and can offer an extended warranty on their performance. GeForce graphics cards are made by other manufacturers - NVIDIA only supplies the GPU.

The Founder Edition are Geforce made by NVidia.

In short, all this is clearly only intended to guide, encourage, (force?) customers to go to the latest software and hardware, when they could perfectly improve the performance on their old SWs simply with slightly newer hardware and at a lower cost.

So you will tell me that it is normal for these heavyweights to try to make as much money as possible, but given their level of income I think they could afford to be a little less sectarian and to allow more modest companies to benefit from their products without having to bleed themselves. They would gain customers, and a positive reputation.

Perhaps they could put as much effort into developing corrections as they do into developing restrictions...

1 Like

Or the opposite, for each graphics card, specific software development, verification of proper operation... So it's easier to certify only the pro cards made for this use sue=urtout than as specified by other manufacturers than nvidia for the geforce cards can integrate their chips so an exponential multiplication of verif and software integration.
Personally, I prefer that it limits the number of certified cards and that it checks the proper functioning even if it is often very imperfectible... :cold_face:
I don't think he's pushing us to buy equipment but more to develop it less. And this is unfortunately more and more true given the bugs...

I agree that certifying each version of each model from each manufacturer would be a challenge, but without going that far why not just leave the options available, after that it works or it doesn't, it lags or it doesn't, but at least everyone has a chance.
And between us, the users being the best testers, if a model works well or if it crashes for sure, well the information will circulate :wink: