Sw to catia

Hello forum,
One question is it possible to switch from sw to catia and vice versa to native.
May the force be with you.

Hello

If it is designing a part under one of the two software programs and continuing the design on the other and vice versa while having access to the construction history, the tree, the graph then NO.

In the CATIA sense under SW (only SW Premium) there is 3Dinterconnect

If it is to be able to open and use in assemblies parts or assemblies while keeping the link to the native (the modifications are made natively and are taken into account), yes for SW the files must not change names.

In the SW direction under CATIA

Normally Yes there is " MULTICAx SolidWorks Plug-in " which seems to do the same thing as 3DInterconnect but I don't have.

6 Likes

@franck.ceroux
In fact, we have assemblies of an enormous size and our major problem is the realization of the overall plans.
So one avenue we follow would be to do all our 3D on SW, to do our XXL assembly on CATIA to make the overall plans (since CATIA seems more suitable for maxi assembly).
do you have an opinion on the subject??
may the force be with you.

1 Like

Hello @OBI_WAN
Support for improved associativity in Multi-CAD.pdf data (131.9 KB)

On this subject, I don't have enough experience (large assemblies) on 3Dinterconnect and none with the equivalent under CATIA.

In our projects, parts and components are versioned, so they change their names, which makes us lose the associativity that needs to be redefined (we don't have enough use cases to automate this "Macro" task).

3Dinterconnect or MULTICAx SolidWorks Plug-in both convert data. As the 3D mathematical modelers of these two programs are not the same, you may encounter conversion PBs (a test on a representative sample of your parts would be prudent).

I have attached the CATIA doc on associativity.

My point of view on large blends.

I don't know of a magic wand even if the publishers make us superb demos.

Cache management, etc. (it is a necessity but depending on the type of machine project specific tools we often reach the limits because on the day we ended up loading 90% of the geometry).

The updating of the overall plans is a real subject (I don't have any elements to compare SW and CATIA), I don't doubt the ability of CATIA to display the digital model of an Airbus and probably the bundles of documents, you have to be sure to have the right modules to deal with all this.

The modules of simplifications of the geometry (envelopes, removal of functions) tjrs no magic wand (our project complex plastic parts of style) a lot of rib strips, an automatic simplification does not work.

3 Likes

Hi @OBI_WAN ,

Is it just a question of weight and fluidity to make the MEPs? Maybe see to create a dummy part in the assembly and make a part via the join function and save it outside of it. It will be easier to make the MEP from this part and moreover in this way this " part " keeps a link (ctrl-q) with the assembly in case of modification of an existing part in the assembly.
https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/créer-une-pièce-partir-dun-assemblage-pour-facilter-les-simulations

1 Like

For your @OBI_WAN , we manage assemblies of more than 60,000 parts or even more than 100,000 on an ad hoc basis with solidworks and even if it is difficult it does it quite well. (factory plan with conveyors + machines...)
On the other hand, an essential point to check is your basemaps.
I had checked following Visiativ's request for a ticket on the slowness of the big MEP, the version(s) of the SW basemap.
As a result, it was a background map from 2004 successively transformed into all the versions from 2004 to 2018 and that's what generated the slowness.
Once the MEP was drwdot and slddrt as well, the slowness decreased very sharply from several minutes to a few seconds to place dimensions, views, or recording.
It may not be your case but it's worth trying.
To test the improvement you take the default backgrounds of your version of SW in tutorial I think.
And to check the SW version I use Visiativ's version history. Or via macro:
https://help.solidworks.com/2022/English/api/sldworksapi/Get_Version_History_Example_VB.htm?verRedirect=1

2 Likes

@franck.ceroux thank you for the additional information, we will continue in this direction and I will ask you if necessary

@ac_cobra_427 as far as light models and others are concerned, we are at the maximum of what can be done. everything is drawn in a block encompassing, defeature etc...

@sbadenis I think we're in the same situation as you and the path you give inspires me a lot because it's exactly our case, I'm going to quickly explore this direction.
May the force be with you.

3 Likes

@OBI_WAN it looks like 2023 is very fast! :smile:

1 Like

you believe in it :joy:

2 Likes

Almost. One year I was even surprised by how quickly he planted... :laughing: